Wednesday 3 June 2015

New Editions: Thoughts So Far

Corrie here, hello! I'm two chapters into Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone at the moment, and just thought I would take some time to let you know my thoughts on the new editions of the Harry Potter books. The copies that I am reading are the latest release, with cover illustrations by Jonny Duddle, kindly given to me by Lucia.


New Editions: A Review


These editions were released in September 2014 to great fanfare, with a party held at Waterstones in Piccadilly Circus, London. Lucia and I were both meant to go to the party, but my poor mental health got in the way and I did not manage to make it out. Lucia took her lovely boyfriend instead, and met Jonny Duddle. She got him to sign my favourite book from the series - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, in case you're wondering.

Look at the golden stars!

The edition is fun. I love the illustrations, and the cover has raised golden stars on it that are repeated at the beginning of every chapter. It's pretty! The font on the cover is joyful (there's no other word for it) and different characters are given a different voice in the book by changing fonts when they are writing. Hagrid's letters are written in a rough scrawl, while McGonagall's signature is elegant and flowing. I love that. The texture of the cover is also divine - almost silky, which makes holding the physical novel (something I haven't done for a long time) a pleasure.



Unfortunately, this is all overshadowed slightly by the punctuation. I know this is a silly thing to get upset about. The font of the story itself is also nice; elegant, slim text with good kerning (not that I'm a fanatic about that sort of thing). However, the punctuation is so small that it is easy to bypass - especially as a fast reader, which I am. Of particular annoyance is the semi-colon ( ; ). It's so small and slim that it almost feels as if they needn't have bothered. It irritates me so much that I almost gave up on reading these editions, and got my old ones out.



I'll persevere though. You won't hear me saying bad things about HP often...so enjoy this bit while it lasts!

Much love,

Corrie xx


No comments:

Post a Comment