Tuesday 9 June 2015

Week 1 Roundup

The second week of our Harry Potter Challenge has begun and so I thought I would look back on the experience I've had so far. I know it hasn't been long, but I've already noticed some changes in my habits, which was part of the reason for starting this whole challenge.

My Thoughts on Blogging


While Corrie has been successfully maintaining blogs for a number of years, I'm quite new to this whole thing. As such, I'm still learning my way around and obsessing about the little things.

The layout, for example. It's only been a week and I've already tried 3 different looks. Corrie and I both agreed that the first design was no good, so I went for something a bit more artistic. But now I'm quite liking this new background and the 'Simple' template - this is meant to be a blog about reading, after all, so having bookshelves as a background kind of makes sense to me. What do you guys think?

Another thing I've been trying to figure out is how frequently we should be posting. Should we each have a scheduled posting time? Do we alternate posts or simply blog when and as we feel like it? Is there a right or wrong way to go about this?

As it stands, we've managed to produce new blog posts every day (with the exception of the weekend, but hey - even bloggers need days off!). I don't know if we will manage to continue like this, but I'm really happy with the progress we've made!

I went to visit my lovely boyfriend over the weekend (he's working in Belgium) and, unsurprisingly, we spoke about this new thing that I'm trying. He's not a Harry Potter fan per se (he hasn't read the books, but has sat through all of the movies with me and quite enjoyed them) so this isn't really the kind of blog he would normally read. Nevertheless, he had some comments on the layout and the content.

Which got me thinking - what exactly is the purpose of this blog? What was my reasoning behind starting it and what was I hoping to achieve in the long run?

I already mentioned that my personal motivation for this challenge was to get back into reading (more on that in a minute). Now, one could argue that I could do that without blogging about it. And this is a valid argument. However, I suppose I envisaged that blogging would allow me to keep track of my progress.

I was also hoping that it would open up yet another a platform for discussing the books with other people, be they my friends or complete strangers. This has worked to some degree - Corrie and I decided to set up a Facebook Group where we can update members whenever we've published a new post and some of those people I've never met. We're in the process of organizing a get together for those of us who live in London!

New Habits


I've known Corrie for the better part of the last 8 years and although we live in the same city, we don't really get to see each other very often. She is very busy with her crafting and so I wasn't sure if she would have the time to join me on this silly venture and add a 4th (?) blog to her repertoire. I was therefore delighted when she readily accepted this new challenge and am very happy indeed that it has had another desired outcome - Corrie and I now speak on a daily basis, which is great!

Corrie and I being our usual silly selves

However, the main positive outcome of this week has undoubtedly been the reading :) I am a bit ahead of the blog (currently on chapter 7) and have taken to carrying the Philosopher's Stone in my bag wherever I go. I got a bit over-excited and took Chamber of Secrets to Belgium, thinking I would finish the first book on the train journey there, but I ended up catching up on blog posts instead.

As I proudly told my lovely boyfriend, I now fall asleep reading a physical book and not my iPad. It might not sound like much, but to me it means a lot.

And on that happy note, I leave you. Who knows what week 2 has in store?

Until next time,
Lucia

No comments:

Post a Comment