Monday 15 June 2015

Week 2 Roundup

The second week has been a bit quieter on the blog, but that doesn't mean things haven't been happening behind the scenes! I, personally, had a huge reading success this week...

Reading Ahead


I was hoping that I wouldn't read too far ahead in the book and thus fall behind with the blogging, but was unable to control myself and have managed to finish reading Philosopher's Stone in less than 2 weeks! I was pretty sure the first book would be easy to get through as it's the shortest one and while I'm probably not as fast a reader as Corrie, I'm not half-bad :P The biggest challenge for me was always going to be books 4-7, especially Order of the Phoenix which, as everyone knows, is the longest book of the series.

I reckon I wouldn't have finished reading the first book so quickly if I hadn't been commuting so much in the past two weeks, which is a bit of an anomaly as I live across the street from my office so no chance of reading on my way to work.

However, as I mentioned, I went to Belgium last weekend (3h on the train), went to Burgess Hill for a dance competition yesterday (2h on the train) and spent at least another 2 hours reading on the bus on my way around London. This coupled with a few hours in the park and my date with Harry at the local Byron on Friday means that I got through the book much faster than anticipated. I've even read the first two chapters of Chamber of Secrets...not sure if I should continue reading or wait until July to properly do one book per month. Hmm...

Harry Potter and a Glass of Wine

So I now face the prospect or actually re-reading most of the book as I write the chapter-by-chapter reviews as I will need to remind myself of what happens when...oh well, I can think of worse ways to spend my evenings.

Fanfiction


Re-reading the first book has also re-kindled my interest in reading fanfiction. I originally came across fanfiction back in the early '00s when I was particularly obsessed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I very quickly moved on to Harry Potter and even cross-overs (the combination of characters from two or more different 'universes'). Some of the stories are really very good and it's been nice re-visiting some of them.

Looking Ahead


So with 15 days to go until the end of June, I now face the task of going back through the book and reviewing the remaining 12 chapters. I would really like to finish in the next two weeks so I can move on to Chamber of Secrets which I am particularly keen to read again as an adults, because it has been my least favorite book from the series for a very long time (at some point Half-Blood Prince had that honor, but I appreciate it more the older I get) and I am curious to see if my opinion of it will be different this time around.

I hope you're enjoying the blog so far - if you have any suggestions of how we could make it better, then let us know!

Until next time,
Lucia

No comments:

Post a Comment