Wednesday 4 November 2015

I have subscribed to Audible

So far, it's been an unbelievably lazy day for me. I was up until 3am writing my blog post about Jane Eyre (which came in at a whopping 1265 words!), in an attempt to stay on track with the challenge and not fall behind as soon as I start.

A late night turned into a late morning and I didn't make it into the office until very late (like, so late I won't even tell you the time). Since then I have been sending emails, sorting out some home things and thinking hard and long about my newest hobby - audiobooks.



There was a lot to consider. For those unfamiliar with how Audible works (as I was until last week) and assuming you cannot for whatever reason simply Google this yourselves, here is an introduction:

Audible is a part of Amazon and allows its customers to buy audiobooks (I think that much is self-evident). You can buy these books without becoming a member, and prices range from as little as £2.99 to as much as £30 per title. I don't know about you, but I find this quite expensive, even as I logically understand why it should be so. At first glance, then, it was not very appealing to me.

However, to save money you can become a member and there are a few options available. For example, you can have a monthly subscription and pay £7.99/month or £14.99/month. Each monthly payment gives you a Credit - the cheaper option gives you one Credit every month, while the more expensive option gives you two. One Credit = one audiobook, which is where it becomes more lucrative as you can now buy that £30 audiobook for as little as £7.99!

If you're feeling impatient and/or optimistic about the amount of books you will listen to, you can also pay for a year long membership. For £69.99 you get 12 books per year, and for £109.99 you get 24 books.
After careful deliberation, I have decided to opt for the £7.99/month subscription, which gives me access to one audiobook a month. I was tempted to go for the £14.99/month option, but as I am no longer getting paid and won't be for the foreseeable future, I am trying to be good with budgeting. The good news is that my new subscription gives me a 30-day free trial, so that's £8 saved for November. Phew.

Subscription sorted, it was time to think carefully about what my next audiobook would be. Sam has helpfully provided me with at least 10 of his personal favorites - thankfully a mixture of fiction and non-fiction, and I have also added a few of my own titles to my Wishlist.

After the surprising success that was Jane Eyre, I was very tempted to keep with the classics and tackle War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. As one of the longest written books in Western literature, the audiobook comes in two volumes with each lasting more than 30 hours. Volume 1 would certainly keep me going until the end of the month.

However, I decided to keep that one on the shelf and instead chose to download How To Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran. This mostly due to the continued harassment of Sam and his girlfriend, who assure me that it is fantastic and brilliant and hilarious.

Well guys, you've set my expectations extremely high. The book is on my phone and ready to be listened to. Now I just need to start doing some work...

Until next time,
Lucia

P.S. The next post will be about Harry Potter, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment