Friday 6 November 2015

My dream home - The Burrow

I'm travelling between London and my parents home in Devon a lot and oh my gosh this nomadic lifestyle is exhausting! I have had draft posts on here for a month, but Lucia has made me feel ashamed that she's putting so much effort and I've been rubbish, so here I am again! Let's see how long my resolution lasts this time.

I'd just like to agree with Lucia in saying that CoS is not my favourite book. We met up for a coffee last night to chat about it, and I think we agreed that we both found Dobby very annoying, and it was irritating that there's SO MUCH recap in the book, which makes reading them back-to-back a bit tough.



The Burrow

Harry is picked up in the ludicrous flying Ford Anglia, as we should all know by now, and taken to the Burrow. There is one thing that I want to pick up on here, and it is how fantastic Fred and George's lock-picking skills are. Seriously, that stuff is hard - I have locked myself out, separately, of my flat and car more than once (at least) and been like 'well I have the Internet and hundreds of hair clips it can't be that hard...'. Well, I'm very, very wrong.


This is not the last time that Harry escapes Privet Drive by air. Somehow, I always forget that Fred and George are there too...what heroes they are. I found it hilarious that Harry didn't know what Mr Weasley did yet - I'm well known among all of my friends for interrogating new acquaintances (I don't like awkward silences...) I met a friend's girlfriend last night and before five minutes were over, I knew her whole housing history, what her parents did and what accents she is more likely to pick up when spending a lot of time with people...Oh Harry, I don't understand how you survive.

Then we get to the Burrow, which is literally my dream house. Even the description of Harry's first sight of the place is enchanting.

The Burrow by Paulika92 (source)

"...it looked as though it had once been a large stone pigsty, but extra rooms had been added here and there until it was several storeys high..."

I grew up in a 900 year old house which was exactly like this, although horizontally rather than vertically - every room in the house was on a different level, there were no right angles in the rooms and it was a little like a fairy tale. However, my mum is extremely tidy and the house was always absolutely clutter-free, which couldn't be further from the Burrow.

I love the thought of how much food Mrs Weasley crams into Harry, and the garden gnomes! We did have a very wildlife friendly garden and I used to spend hours watching ground thrushes with their babies - imagine what baby garden gnomes look like! Tiny, tiny walking potatoes! Oh I think that would be so adorable.

The Burrow by Lhox (source)

The description continues into the next Chapter, At Flourish and Blotts, with gems such as "...the Weasleys' house burst with the strange and unexpected", the description of playing Quidditch in the orchard, and the fact that there are so many people live in there. I'm fairly certain this cemented the Weasley's into my list of Favourite Families Ever - they sound so much fun. As a teenager I spent a lot of time on my own as we were a very busy family - I guess with so many siblings you'd never be on your own much, which always sounded fun.

Then, we go back to Diagon Alley, and this is a blog for another day as this post is already far too long.

The Burrow by Viva la Vida (source)

We've had a few more people joining our Facebook group, and it's lovely to see you! If you fancy joining in, the link is here. We don't only talk about Harry Potter, as you can see by Lucia's posts!

Much love,

Corrie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment