Wednesday 11 November 2015

Weekly Roundup

It has been a busy week on the blog, as you can probably tell with all the activity on our Facebook Group and our Twitter feed. If you would like regular updates on our posts, please do join either of these groups!


Meeting of the Minds


Corrie has been travelling between her current home-base in Devon and London a lot recently and we had a chance to catch up on Thursday over some Christmas-y drinks at Starbucks. I arrived prepared with my copy of Order of the Phoenix and for once was glad for the traffic, as I managed to read a chapter while on the bus.

Such fangirls!

It was a very happy reunion, as we had not seen each other for a fair few weeks. We chatted happily about life, the blog and Harry Potter before heading over to John Lewis to peruse their crafts section. It was at this meeting that Corrie decided to also try her hand at blogging each day and she has been doing a great job! She's ahead of me now in her reviews and I am trying furiously to catch up.

It'll be a few months before we actually tackle this book...sigh

One of the main topics of conversation was trying to understand why we both dislike Book 2 of the series so much, and we managed to come up with an explanation.

We reckon it's because of the pacing of the book. Each chapter has an 'action scene' and there isn't much fleshing out of the story around it. It feels like we are just jumping from one exciting thing to another and it feels a bit jarring. This way of telling the story is also why I dislike the Goblet of Fire movie so much - we jump from task to task without giving much attention to the background story and it all feels unsatisfying and empty. The majority of the fans like the Harry Potter Series because J.K. Rowling is so amazing at world building and indeed, my two favourite books are Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix precisely because she spends so much time introducing new characters and describing the day-to-day habits of school children. I will no doubt write more about this when we actually tackle said books, which at this rate looks like it will be in the new year.

Corrie and I are meeting up again this week, so stay tuned for more of our insights in the next Weekly Roundup post.

Blog Post a Day Challenge


Generally I am very pleased with how this challenge is going. It's been a week since we started and I have managed to write over 7000 words, which is much more than I had anticipated. I honestly didn't think I would revert back to my original chapter-by-chapter analysis of the books, but it appears that I have a lot to say!

I am a little behind - as I write this it is the 11th of November, which means I am two posts behind. This is mostly due to the hectic weekend - the lovely boyfriend came over from Belgium together with another friend, so I didn't have as much time to blog as I would have hoped. Yesterday I was just too tired and uninspired. Hopefully I will be back on track by the end of the week!

Until next time,
Lucia

No comments:

Post a Comment