Friday 20 November 2015

Weekly Roundup

I'm a bit late with the Weekly Roundup - November has been really gloomy and I've been trying to cheer myself up by meeting up with old friends and new (which has been lovely!), but have not found much time for blogging. This means I'm still behind on my challenge and I'm not sure if I will be able to catch up! Oh well.

What's been happening in the last week?


Thursday at Starbucks


For the second week in a row, Corrie and I met up for coffee at Starbucks - a different one this week, just off of Regent's Street. We both had a yummy Eggnog Latte (gosh I love those things) and chatted about Harry Potter, obviously.

In particular, we had a look at this list of 143 Facts About the Harry Potter Films You May Not Know. Some of the things are, I think quite common knowledge, but there were a few that stood out. For example, did you know that:

3. Emma Watson was supposed to wear fake buck teeth to be more similar to how Hermione was described in the books. She couldn't talk clear enough, so the idea was scratched.
9. J. K. Rowling was offered the role of Lily Potter in the Mirror (of Erised).
12. Rosie O'Donell and Robin Williams both asked for roles without pay.
24. The PG rating of Philosopher's Stone was due to scare scenes in the Forbidden Forest, six uses of the word 'bloody', one 'arse', one 'bugger' and two 'blasted'. - I don't remember these!
27. Based on the second shortest book, Chamber of Secrets is the longest of the 8 films.
28. Fourteen Ford Anglias were were destroyed during the making of the Whomping Willow scene.
32. According to J.K. Rowling, Moaning Myrtle is of Ravenclaw House.
36. Daniel Radcliffe has stated that Chamber of Secrets is his favorite book. - Interesting
47. Daniel Radcliffe was told by Alfonso Cuaron to pretend 'you're seeing Cameron Diaz in a G-string' to look more awed in a scene.
66. Alfonso Cuaron convinced Mike Newell to not split Goblet of Fire into two films. - Damn you Alfonso!
97. Daniel Radcliffe's scream when Sirius dies was silenced because it was too agonizing. - I think it made the scene even more powerful and difficult to watch :(
105. The original script (for Half-Blood Prince) included all of memories about Voldemort's past that are in the novel. - Their absence is just one of the reasons why this is my least favorite movie adaptation
142. The only Potter film not to have Harry deliver the last line. It is his son, Albus, that speaks it this time. - FORESHADOWING??!! 

We then popped into the huge Waterstones in Pacadilly Circus, ostensibly to buy Corrie a new Daily Planner. I, however, had another priority - to hold in my hands the new illustrated Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone that was released a few months ago.

Such happy fans
When I first heard that Bloomsbury would be publishing yet another edition of the books, I was a bit skeptical - by my count they already have at least 6 or 7 editions under their belt that I know of. I wrote it off as just being a money-making ploy and that it wasn't really worth it. I mean, I already have 2 editions in English and one in Greek a home already...

Oh, sweet naive little Lucia.

The illustrated book is just beautiful. Honestly, I can't think of another word for it. The illustrations are fantastic, there are pictures on every page - some full page images of characters or creatures, others just little details on the bottom of the page. Absolutely amazing.

For me this is the ultimate children's edition. When I have children, this is the version of the book I envision us reading together at night. I am in love. Lovely boyfriend, if you are reading this, don't forget that Christmas is just around the corner! :) Bloomsbury even has a special offer right now!

The Harry Potter table in Picadilly's Waterstones

Until next time,
Lucia

No comments:

Post a Comment